And then life happens.
We all have days like I had yesterday: unexpected plans, events going later than anticipated, and the intended things don't get done. Yesterday, after a very full day, I arrived home right at dinner time, having had no time to make a grocery list, let alone shop for items at the store.
On days like this, I am often left scratching my head, asking,
"What do I make for dinner!?"
You don't HAVE to always get take out. And know that sometimes it's ok for dinner to just be easy. Don't feel bad if the meal is not a complete meat-vegetable-starch with linen napkins and candles. Life doesn't allow for that every day (or...ever). You have to go with the flow. Part of making those unexpected nights easier is thinking ahead. Have some consistent staples in your pantry, or even better, your freezer.
You will be grateful.
For your viewing pleasure, I've compiled a list of At-Home Dinner Ideas to have on hand for those nights when you are left with your hands thrown in the air and no plan for a meal.
Breakfast for Dinner
- Cereal Buffet. Take all the boxes out of the pantry, and let each person chose whatever cereal they want (or, mix a few for a new twist)
- Pancakes or Waffles (to feel like you are still giving your kids a nutritious meal, make Pumped Up Pancakes)
- Breakfast Casserole (recipe to come later this week)
- Breakfast Sandwiches (my favorite being an over-easy egg on a toasted english muffin topped with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and a dash of hot sauce. Might also be good with a slice of bacon [beef or canadian]).
- Homemade Calzones (here is a great recipe for calzones that can be frozen and thrown into the oven WITHOUT THAWING)
- Tomato Sauce (have pasta or noodles on hand as a pantry staple. In the time you boil the water and cook the spaghetti, the sauce will be bubbling and ready).
- Frozen Pizza (As much as I prefer to make Homemade Pizza with Par-baked Crust, I like to keep at least one box of frozen pizza on hand in the freezer. Just in case).
There you have it! A smattering of Quick Dinner Ideas to make at home. Remember:
Go with the flow.
Save yourself the money and forget take-out.
You can make dinner tomorrow.