A few weeks ago, I posted a great salad from Cooking Light. Today, I'd like to post a really simple recipe that, in all honesty, I found on the back of a Lipton Onion Soup Mix box. Since my find, I've been making this side to pair with my meals 2 times a week. It's really simple and it tastes SO GOOD. I love serving these potatoes alongside grilled chicken or steak.
For those with kids, these potatoes make a great (and healthier) alternative to french fries. I think they taste even BETTER (and, yes, I eat them with ketchup).
For those on Weight Watchers, I figured out that one serving (which is roughly one potato) is a mere 2 points - not bad! And it's a HUGE portion, if you ask me!
Scrumptious Sides and Salads
- 1 packet of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix
- 4 medium all-purpose potatoes, cut into large chunks (about 2 lbs)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
~ Preheat oven to 425*. In a 13x9-inch baking or roasting pan, combine all ingredients.
~ Bake, stirring occasionally, 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender golden brown
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
1) If want to save a few cents, use the generic store brand of Onion Soup Mix. It works just fine! For a deeper flavor, I have also used the Lipton's Beefy Onion Soup Mix.
2) Since it does take 35 minutes to bake, sometimes it is good to get this started and in the oven before you start the main dish (especially if you are grilling - since grilling will take less time). I sometimes forget this, and get the meat started, only to realize I've mismanaged my time because the potatoes will take a while to get done!
3) I usually cook for 2, and we are not always great with leftovers, so sometimes I just make 2 potatoes drizzled with olive oil and use only HALF a packet of soup mix. But, for those who like leftovers, these turn out just great the next day. I'd also imagine, for those of you who are good at creatively turning your leftovers into a new meal, these would make AWESOME hash browns. I have not attempted this yet - but if I do, I'll let you know how they turn out!
If you have any good, tasty and simple sides or salads, pass them along to share at email@example.com