For me and my family, I have a great awareness of diabetes.
Both of my grandmothers suffered from diabetes. My dad's mother passed away from complications of the illness. My mom's mother struggled daily with the affects of diabetes until she passed away. I became well-aquainted with the various facets of diabetes. I watched my Nana take her blood sugar. I helped her calibrate her lancers and testers. I watched her hem and haw over dietary choices, knowing some would have greater impacts than others.
I know that this can be hereditary, so I'm more aware of the symptoms. It's important for me to know the symptoms, so that if they ever became present in my life or the lives of my children, I can immediately take action. I hope to never know the disease personally. But there are many who must live with it daily.
November is Diabetes Awareness Month. This is a great time to learn more about diabetes, as well as to support those who live with the disease. Johnson & Johnson has some great resources for those living with diabetes.
If you have diabetes:
1) Supplements may support overall health.
2) You may be concerned about plaque and gingivitis, so healthy oral care habits are essential. Included in your product box:
- LISTERINE® ULTRACLEAN® Dental Floss – Shred-resistant dental floss stretches, flexes and slides easily between teeth. MICRO-GROOVES® Technology removes 2x more plaque than Glide® Mint Floss.
- LISTERINE® ULTRACLEAN® Mouthwash – The only leading mouthwash with an anti-tartar ingredient and new EVERFRESH™ Technology for a dentist clean feeling that lasts up to three times longer vs. brushing alone. Has the clinically proven plaque and germ-killing power of LISTERINE® Antiseptic.
3) Lotion or cream such as LUBRIDERM® can help moisturize your skin. Talk to your doctor before use.
- LUBRIDERM® Daily Moisture Fragrance-Free Lotion – Replenish and moisturize dry skin. It’s fragrance-free, fortified with Vitamin B5 and skin-essential moisturizers. The clean-feeling, non-greasy formula absorbs in seconds and moisturizes for hours – in fact, it’s clinically shown to moisturize for 24 hours.
4) Check with your doctor; your wounds should be treated immediately. Included in your product box:
- NEOSPORIN® Original Ointment – For over 55 years, NEOSPORIN® products have been the gold standard for all your minor cuts, scrapes and burns. NEOSPORIN® Original Ointment provides 24 hour infection protection and may help minimize the appearance of scars.
- BAND-AID® Brand Adhesive Bandages – America’s #1 bandage brand covers all your wound-protection needs. BAND-AID® Brand Adhesive Bandages have covered and protected minor cuts and scrapes for millions of people over 90 years.
5) Currently one in three American adults have pre-diabetes and are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes. One of the most important steps you can take to lower this risk is eating well to maintain a healthy weight.
- When used to replace sugar, SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener Products can help people with diabetes reduce their intake of carbohydrate and calories. SPLENDA® Sweetener Products can contribute to a healthier lifestyle by helping to reduce calories from added sugar, and can be used almost anywhere sugar is used, including cooking and baking.
Visit the HEALTHY ESSENTIALS® website for savings and diabetes resources.
This post is part of the HEALTHY ESSENTIALS® 2014 program by Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc. and The Motherhood, who sent me a box of products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are all my own, and I hope you enjoy them.
Third Party trademarks used herein are trademarks of their respective owners.