Perhaps it is my newfound reunion with the television show, "My So-Called Life," but I've been somewhat nostalgic recently. I haven't tried to hide the fact on this blog that I loved the 90's. And if it's possible to currently love the 90's while being in the 20-teens, then I do. Like, if I could take a time machine back to any time in my life, it would be the 90's. I was a youngin' during this period in history - a pre-teen and teenager. I was finding my independence and coming into my own as a person. I was discovering music and making statements about fashion (albeit, terrible ones). So perhaps that was why this time period is so definitive in my mind.
While a lot happened in the world in the 90's - politically, culturally, environmentally - most of my warm fuzzies toward the decade come from entertainment, fashion and fads. Here is a comprehensive (but not exhaustive) list of things I loved about the 90's:
2. Surfboard company t-shirts (Billabong and Yaga, remember them?)
3. (This is for people who grew up around Philadelphia) - Y100. Enough said.
4. The Real World (remember Puck!?!)
5. TGIF (Here I am thinking a mixture of Full House, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, Boy Meets World, and Hanging with Mr. Cooper).
6. Long bulky plaid shirts and tight black leggings
7. Lisa Loeb
8. "Button Your Fly" shirts
9. Stone Temple Pilots
10. Jonathan Taylor Thomas
11. Ace Venture: Pet Detective
13. Weird Al Yankovich
14. Original "Car Phones" that look like this (my dad had one. It's very Zack Morris, isn't it?):
15. Zack Morris
16. Toe Rings
17. Deeply thought-provoking music videos
18. The Crash Test Dummies
19. Friends (ahhhhh the Ross and Rachel saga!)
20. Button up shirts buttoned all the way up to your neck
21. Girls wearing neckties
22. Ace of Base
23. Saturday Night Live (the 90's was a great era in SNL)
25. Babydoll Dresses
26. Poofy bangs
27. Jeans ripped at the knees
28. Hammer pants
29. Tiger handheld games
30. Saying "Da Bomb" and "Doy"
32. Chi Chi's
33. Virtual Reality
34. The Wonder Years
and we'll end on....
35. Steve Urkel
I have to stop myself, as I could go on and on. I know I am missing a good bit of 90's awesomeness. And I know I am not alone in my love for this decade. So help me out with this list (whether you were a kid in the 90's or RAISING kids in the 90's)...
What did you love about the 90's?
Leave a comment and add to the list!
And if you need a little inspiration, I leave you this video...