Smokey the Bear is an icon from my childhood. As cuddly as he looks, he came bearing (no pun intended) a very important message: fire prevention is an important safety issue. Nearly 9 out of 10 wildfires are still caused by humans:
- In 2014 there were 7,933 wildfires caused by lightning, but 55,679 wildfires caused by human error (as reported to the National Interagency Fire Center).
- In 2014 more than 3.5 million acres burned due to wildfires in the U.S. of those, more than 1.5 million acres burned due to human-caused wildfires.
We need to be more aware about how our careless behavior can light a spark - literally - that impacts millions.
Not only is environmental fire protection important, but we need to be aware of home fire prevention as well. Half of home fire deaths result from fires reported between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. when most people are asleep. Only one in five home fires was reported during these hours.
- Smokey the Bear has some great tips on fire prevention: inside AND out! Checkout these great resources:
- Learn how to build a SAFE campfire to prevent wildfires.
- See how easily burning debris can start a wildfire.
- Understand how proper equipment maintenance can reduce wildfires.
- Safety is not only important indoors, but also around your property and community.
- How to prevent and detect fires inside your home.
I am taking the pledge to to be smart when using fire outdoors! Learn more.